Sunday, July 15, 2012

Sunday Sweets: Piña Colada Pops


Oh summer, you are just the jam to my pb! You never cease to wow me...when you show up! And so far...you have!

I was really starting to get a complex thinking that maybe the lack of summer was my fault. I saved up vacation time prior to my mat leave so I had a full summer off last year. And this year, well I don't go back until August 7th and up until last Sunday...summer was nowhere to be seen. It seemed like we had skipped forward to fall! It was THAT cold and dreary! So I was starting to get a complex thinking that maybe because I was on leave that maybe, just maybe, this horrible weather was my fault. That maybe I wasn't allowed to take leave during the summer months. But look at us now! Basking in all of summer's glory!! (Thank you summer! Now I don't have to worry about taking time off and have all your doom and gloom weather fall on my shoulders. We'll leave that up to Mother Nature. I'm sure her shoulders are a little broader than mine...one can hope at least!)

Since we've been having such hot weather, there was no way I was turning on my oven. Last week's Sunday Sweets was the Chocolate Banana Cream Cheese Pie which only had the oven on for a few minutes, but now that we're well into our lovely hot weather that oven was not getting turned on! And what better time than now to introduce boozy pops to Terracotta Café!






Piña Colada Pops
(made 12 pops and an ice cube tray full)

1 can coconut milk (I used light)
1 can pineapple chunks
1 banana, medium
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup rum (I'll increase it next time...need a little more booze!)

In a blender combine the first four ingredients.


I made half non-alcoholic. So, it was at this point when I poured the mixture into the pink popsicle moulds and half the ice cube tray.


I then stirred in the rum. I filled my blue moulds and the remainder of the tray. Well it was actually 8 non-alcoholic cubes and 6 rum'd up.


Place them in the freezer and let them set for at least 3 hours. To be honest, I never really checked on them. I made them in the morning and didn't grab one until the evening. So I say 3 hours minimum to be on the safe side. Use your judgement...you'll know!

Then once you've been out basking in all that summer has to offer, pop (hehe) into the freezer and grab one of these tasty treats! You'll be instantly transported to tropical beach! Enjoy!!


1 comment: