Thursday, March 05, 2009

Coconut Lemon Squares

I love lemon! Well except for lemon-flavoured hard candy - not a huge fan. But yes, I'm really beginning to develop a love for lemon! Lemon tarts, lemon squares, lemon muffins, lemon loaf! Lemon! Lemon! Lemon! I love how lemons just exude freshness! You smell lemon and you instantly think fresh, clean! But I also love the tartness. When you take a bite of something with lemon in it and you get that tart taste in your mouth and then it just makes you pucker...MMM!

At Christmas, I made Lemon-Cranberry Scones which were simply delish, so those will make an appearance at Terracotta Cafe at some point. Since then I've been wanting to do another lemon recipe and I've had lemon squares in the back of my mind. It doesn't help that I had an absolutely delicious lemon tart at Don Diego's on my birthday, so I've had lemon on my mind since.

So the other night, I whipped these up and they were super easy. The combination of the lemon and coconut was just magnificent!

Lemon Coconut Squares (16 squares)

1 cup flour
1/4 cup icing sugar
1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup dessicated coconut
2 eggs
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 lemon, juice and rind

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Mix flour, icing sugar and butter together thoroughly. Press crumb mixture evenly into an 8-inch square pan. Bake for 15 minutes. Then sprinkle with coconut.

Beat remaining ingredients together. Pour over the top. Bake for another 20 minutes. Cool and mark into squares with wet knife. Chill. When cold, cut completely and remove from pan. Serve.

4 comments:

  1. Stupid stupid question...I'm almost embarassed to ask...do you grate the lemon? When do you add it?
    I was going to try this recipe...I'm pretty sure you don't put the whole lemon in the mixture!LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. No question is ever stupid! I had to go back to see what I wrote and it's not very clear about the lemon, so thank you :)
    What I like to do is roll the lemon on the counter a couple times so that you break open the juice sacks on the inside, so you get the most juice out of it. Then you want to grate it to get the lemon zest (rind) so do that using the fine side of the grater. Then slice in half to juice it. You want to mix the rind and the juice into the egg, sugar, baking powder mixture.
    It would definitely be an adventurous creation using the whole lemon ;) Haha.
    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks...going to try this in the next couple of minutes...
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. They turned out wonderful...delish!!
    Thanks for sharing the recipe! You're right about the whole lemon...not sure what would have happened!LOL

    ReplyDelete